The Yates House is reputedly the oldest house in Schenectady, located in the Stockade. One of the oldest Dutch urban homes in the nation, built around 1725 by tanner Abraham Yates, the house had never been put up for sale but was passed between relatives for more than 200 years. Colonel Christopher Yates, leader of the Sons of Liberty and chairman of the Committee of Safety, ca.1771-1776, lived in the house and served in the New York Militia during the Revolutionary War. His son, Joseph C. Yates, was Governor of New York in 1823.
For more history on the stockade and its role in the Revolutionary War, please visit:http://www.revolutionaryday.com/nyroute5/schenectady/